Sunday, June 6
Camping in Escondido!
We took our first group camping trip with the kids. Reece's first camping trip ever actually. Every Thursday we go to a park with a small lake where the kids sit on the dock and pretend to fish. They just love it. So, one day one of our friends who is a native to Escondido suggested we take our playgroup friends to the Dixon Lake so the kids and guys could really fish and we could camp there overnight. We were all for it, so H organized the whole thing. We got 4 camp sites with two families per site. Unbelievably we got site #37 (actually I saw it was one of the choices so I put our name in to request it, hee).
We've lived in Escondido for 3 years now, I never knew there was a fishing lake or even a campground in Escondido. It's less than 10 minutes from our house. We left last Friday afternoon, and as we entered the campground I noticed picnic areas and playgrounds. So, I said to Isaac "Look, they have playgrounds here." Isaac then replies "Mom, I don't want to go on the playground, I just want to fish." No messing around, he wanted to get right down to business.
After most of the families had arrived and unpacked, we headed down to the lake to fish. One of the dads, K, brought fishing poles for the kids just their size. We didn't put lure's on their poles since they were just learning. Jake told his childhood story of accidentally catching his hook on another guys ear. Jake showed Isaac how to throw and release the line, and Isaac was eager to learn. After a few tries he was throwing the line out pretty far with no help from dad. Reece was interested in fishing for about a minute, then she wanted to climb up and down the hillside one million times. Pretty soon I and the other moms, took Reece and the other little ones up to the playground while the guys fished. Alas, no fish were caught that day, but Isaac and dad had a blast.
The men BBQ'd dinner that night and we enjoyed a feast of food and dessert. The kids stayed up as late as they could; dancing, playing in the dirt and twirling glow sticks. While the adults chatted, played a little guitar and drums and rocked our kids to sleep.
Our view from our site was amazing, we could see over all of Escondido. We tried to watch for meteors (shooting stars) but we didn't see any. We crammed into our little tent (next trip we'll need a larger one for sure) and the kids went to sleep pretty quickly.
The next day was our last day, so after breakfast we had to clean up and pack up. We then headed back down to the lake to fish one last time. By afternoon the kids were crying from exhaustion, Isaac even told me "mom, I don't like walking." So, we knew it was time to head home for some naps. Isaac cried when we left, he didn't want our camping trip to end.
We had such a blast camping with our friends. Something we definitely want to do again. Thanks to our friends H and K for planning the whole thing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




2 comments:
super, glad they liked the camping, we'll have to do it together
That sounds like so much fun! Great family experience and memories! I didn't even know we had a lake in Vista that leads to Carlsbad until Monday when I went hiking with a friend! We were both surprised!! LOL! ~Becca~
Post a Comment